|National Team of the Year is awarded to the Vietnam women's football team. Photo: VNA
Swimmer Nguyen Huy Hoang was voted Male Athlete of the Year. Track and field athlete Nguyen Thi Oanh won the title Female Athlete of the Year.
Oanh, who won three gold medals and broke one record at the Southeast Asian Games (SEA Games 31), said: “I am really touched when I am awarded Female Athlete of the Year. I was in the top 3 of this category last season but not lucky enough to be named. Today's highest position with this prestigious award is probably a sweet summary of my efforts in the whole year and also the beginning, a great motivation for me to strive harder in 2023 and the years to come.”
Do Thanh Hai, the swimmer who won five gold medals and broke four records at the Southeast Asian Para Games (ASEAN ParaGames 31) was named the Disability Athlete of the Year.
Head coach of the Vietnam women's football team Mai Duc Chung was honored the Coach of the Year award. His players received the title Team of the Year after winning a ticket to the final round of the World Cup 2023 and successfully defending SEA Games gold medal.
“Our women's team has never won such great prizes as today. This achievement is thanks to the solidarity, strong determination of the women's football team and especially the courage to sacrifice and endure all hardships. Awards like these motivate us a lot. We promise to our fans across the country that we will strive to be more united, confident and determined in 2023 and all the years to come,” Chung said.
2022 Vietnamese Athletes of the Year:
- Male Athlete of the Year: Nguyen Huy Hoang
- Female Athlete of the Year: Nguyen Thi Oanh
- Disabled Athlete of the Year: Do Thanh Hai
- Young Athlete of the Year: Tran Hung Nguyen
- Coach of the Year: Mai Duc Chung
- Foreign expert of the Year: Coach Park Hang Seo
- National Team of the Year: Vietnam women's football team
- Team of the Year: Athletes winning gold medals in 4x200m freestyle at SEA Games 31
- Impressive Image of the Year: Timor-Leste Athlete's Photo (22-year-old Felisberto De Deus who won the track and field Silver Medal, Timor Leste's first medal at the 31st Sea Games.)
- Lifetime Dedication Achievements: Nguyen Hong Minh (former Director of High Performance Sports Department, former General Secretary of Vietnam Gymnastics Federation, Head of Vietnam sports delegation at multiple Sea Games)
- Favorite Athlete: Nguyen Huy Hoang